Migraines and Headaches
Migraines, Tension headaches, Cluster headaches, High Blood Pressure, Stress, Dehydration, Anxiety
Headaches can be sometimes described as a tightening sensation around the sides, top, front and back of the head. Migraines and headaches are a common complaint in our clinic and although many people think they are not sufficiently serious to seek treatment, they can be incredibly debilitating – often resulting in forced bed rest in the case of migraines where the vision is also affected as a result of light sensitivity. Sufferers may also experience pressure over the head, face and eyes, tiredness and nausea – all of which can be exhausting and very frustrating.
The sorts of symptoms you may be experiencing are;
• Tightening like a ‘band around your head’ like sensation on both temples (like a vice)
• A sharp shooting constant throbbing ache in the head
• Pain that starts at the back of the head and extends to the forehead is known as referred pain
• Sometimes headaches can be worsened by light, sounds, smells, eye movement, certain foods i.e. cheese or chocolate, life tension or stress.
• Painkillers may or may not relieve the discomfort in which case you should consult a GP for further advice.
• Blurring of vision, dizziness, zig zag lines, Nausea
• Sharp pain behind one or both eyes
• Extreme tiredness
Osteopathy can help to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines and headaches using a combination of soft tissue massage, mobilisation and manipulation of the joints, as well as diet analysis and advice for exercise which will help stretch and strengthen the relevant muscles to protect the spine.
Your Osteopath will go through a range of questions with you on your Initial Consultation which will help us to understand the cause of the pain, and a treatment plan will be tailor made for your diagnosis.
Please note: if the cause of the headaches is not mechanical in nature and is due to some other underlying issue, then the Osteopath will be able to refer you to the correct health professional to help deal with your symptoms.
NB: Migraine sufferers often report a feeling described as an ‘aura’ prior to the onset of a migraine; if you are able to see your RJ Clinic osteopath at the ‘aura’ stage, it is possible to prevent the migraine coming on.
To make an appointment, simply contact us and we will do our best to accommodate you as soon as possible.